Nervosa by forezt
- I am about to have a crash
- It can't be more than three months since my last crash: bad luck? or bad cycling?
- My brakes are rubbish, I should have sorted them out weeks ago
- I wonder whether I will be injured when I hit the ground?
- I wonder whether the dog will be injured when I hit the dog?
- After I have hit the dog, and I am on the ground, very possibly injured, will the dog, very probably angry, take the opportunity to bite me?
- After I have hit the dog, and I am on the ground, very possibly injured, will the dog's owner, very probably angry, take the opportunity to bite me?
It was a large, reddish deaf dog, with two large dog-friends. The other two had heeded my bell and swerved away to avoid collision, but the third veered directly into my path. I did brake hard, and can't have been going very fast when I hit it for it yelped, loudly, and then it ran off. Swiftly but gingerly, I picked myself up off the path and got to my feet.
Out of the corner of my eye I could see the beast's owner running toward me; so I leapt smartly back on to my bike - time enough to look for grazes later - and pedalled away.
As I escaped I heard, behind me, the breathless owner yell at me: 'Sorry!'